The Casting Out will be on public display at Bath Abbey from 17th August to 10th November. It will be outside the Abbey, on the North side (Kingston Place).
Previously exhibited at 44AD Artspace, at Royal United Hospitals, and Magdalen Chapel.
‘The Casting Out‘ is a group sculpture of ten figures in cement fondue, 1/3 life size, on a base 8ft x 7ft. The work refers directly to the foundation of a Leper Hospital in Bath in about the year 1100AD. But in its depiction of the variety of reactions which people have towards those who are thought to present a risk or threat to the society around them, the theme is universal.
I have made sculptures of one kind or another since I was a boy, but a full time medical career and family took precedence for many years. My first sculptures after retiring in 2010 were abstracts based on found objects, often gilded and combined with carved Bath limestone.
Though mainly self taught, since then I joined the figure sculpture groups at Bath Artist’s Studios, at Bath College and a master class with Etienne Milner in London. I learnt stone carving at Portland and briefly from a memorial mason, and did work experience at Castle Fine Arts Foundry near Oswestry to learn about bronze casting. I have continued to carve stone and wood and experiment with techniques of moulding and casting various materials.
My first solo exhibition ‘25 Sculptures’ was in Spring 2015, which was successful both for feedback and for sales. A second landmark exhibition ‘Elphick and Elphick‘, jointly with my wife Deirdre (a painter) in 2017 was similarly successful. I have contributed to many other exhibitions and events as detailed below.
Another formative experience was in 2016 when we spent two months on the island of Naxos, Greece, where marble sculpture began 5,000 years ago, carving the local marble which is unusually translucent.
I continue to make figurative, abstract and conceptual art in a variety of media.
I welcome opportunities for commissioned projects. Please get in touch by email. I will carry out a site visit, discuss your ideas, and make up some models or sketches without obligation.
I am an Associate Artist at 44AD Artspace/gallery in Bath, UK.
I do not sell through a gallery or online. For sales or commissions please contact me by email.
– Bath Society of Artists (annual exhibition – selected)
-Five and Friends Arts Weekend, Wiltshire*.
– The Naked Truth, Bath Artists Studios.
– N Wraxall WW1 Commemoration, Wiltshire*.
– WW1 Commemoration, Bath Central Library*.
-Summer Show, 44AD Bath.
-Chippenham Central Library*.
-Swindon Central Library*.
-Bradford-on-Avon Arts Festival*.
-Wedmore WW1 Event, Somerset*.
-Deck The Walls, 44AD Bath.
’25 Sculptures’ 44AD Gallery, Bath (solo exhibition)
– Bath Society of Artists ( annual open exhibition – selected).
-Bath Open Art Show (shortlisted for prize).
-Prince’s Trust Art Auction (requested donation).
-The Darkness and the Thunder and the Rain, Bath Royal Literary and Science Institute*.
-Christmas Show, 44AD Bath.
– The Waiting Room (exhibition by associate artists from 44AD Bath with Bath University).
– Bare Facts (exhibition by Bath Artists Studios)
-Bath Society of Artists Summer Exhibition (selected, shortlisted for membership)
-Alleyn’s School, Dulwich*
– Three (with Liza Saunders and Deirdre Elphick)
– Find Another Bath (Book and Exhibition)
– Mary Magdalen Chapel, Holloway, Bath. St John’s Hospital Foundation. (‘The Casting Out‘)
– Royal United Hospitals, Bath (‘The Casting Out‘, part of ‘Find another Bath’ exhibition)
– Elphick and Elphick ( with Deirdre Elphick) 44AD Gallery.
* exhibition of ’16 Million’ at the above venues.