I make abstract and figurative sculptures in a variety of traditional and modern media.
I am an associate artist at 44AD Artspace in Bath, UK, and a founder member of the Cotswold Sculptors Association and editor of Sculpture Loop newsletter.
I have made sculptures of one kind or another since I was a boy, but a full time medical career and family took precedence for many years. My first sculptures after retiring in 2010 were abstracts based on found objects, often gilded and combined with carved Bath limestone.
I am mainly self taught, but I have joined figure sculpture groups at Bath Artist’s Studios, at Bath College, and a master class with Etienne Milner in London. I learnt stone carving at Portland and briefly from a memorial mason, and did work experience at Castle Fine Arts Foundry near Oswestry to learn about bronze casting.
My first solo exhibition ‘25 Sculptures’ was in Spring 2015, and a second landmark exhibition ‘Elphick and Elphick‘, with my wife Deirdre (a painter) in 2017 was similarly successful.
As well as work for private commissions, for sale or for my own development, three responses to calls for sculpture for public display have been a particular success: ‘16 Million‘ has now been displayed in many venues including libraries, galleries and schools. ‘The Casting Out‘ has also been a great (and rather unexpected) public success, having been on display as planned at the 44AD gallery, and then by request at Magdalen Chapel, The Royal United Hospital and then at Bath Abbey.
In March 2018 I was the winner of the David Simon Contemporary Prize at the Bath Society of Artists Annual Open Exhibition.
I welcome opportunities for commissioned or public projects. Please get in touch by email. I will carry out a site visit, discuss your ideas, and make up some models or sketches without obligation.
Creating Spaces (Cotswold Sculptors Association at Malmesbury Abbey Gardens), 1st April – 30th May.
Elphick and Elphick Unlimited – Bristol Guild, June 22nd – July 13th 2019
– Bath Society of Artists (annual exhibition – selected)
-Five and Friends Arts Weekend, Wiltshire*.
– The Naked Truth, Bath Artists Studios.
– N Wraxall WW1 Commemoration, Wiltshire*.
– WW1 Commemoration, Bath Central Library*.
-Summer Show, 44AD Bath.
-Chippenham Central Library*.
-Swindon Central Library*.
-Bradford-on-Avon Arts Festival*.
-Wedmore WW1 Event, Somerset*.
-Deck The Walls, 44AD Bath.
’25 Sculptures’ 44AD Gallery, Bath (solo exhibition)
– Bath Society of Artists ( annual open exhibition – selected).
-Bath Open Art Show (shortlisted for prize).
-Prince’s Trust Art Auction (requested donation).
-The Darkness and the Thunder and the Rain, Bath Royal Literary and Science Institute*.
-Christmas Show, 44AD Bath.
– The Waiting Room (exhibition by associate artists from 44AD Bath with Bath University).
– Bare Facts (exhibition by Bath Artists Studios)
-Bath Society of Artists Summer Exhibition (selected, shortlisted for membership)
-Alleyn’s School, Dulwich*
– Three (with Liza Saunders and Deirdre Elphick)
– Find Another Bath (Book and Exhibition)
– Mary Magdalen Chapel, Holloway, Bath. St John’s Hospital Foundation. (‘The Casting Out‘)
– Royal United Hospitals, Bath (‘The Casting Out‘, part of ‘Find another Bath’ exhibition)
– Elphick and Elphick ( with Deirdre Elphick) 44AD Gallery.
– Bath Abbey (The Casting Out)
– Mells Festival (exhibition Memories)
-Prince’s Trust Art Auction (requested donation)
– 44AD exhibition Genetics v The People
– BRLSI Member’s Annual Art Exhibition
– Bath Society of Artists 113th Annual Open Exhibition: Winner of the David Simon Contemporary Prize for Sculpture.
– Cotswold Sculpture Park (formerly Elementals)
– Bath Artists Studios sculpture exhibition
– Creating Spaces ( Cotswold Sculptors Association, Uley)
– David Simon Contemporary Gallery.
– Bath Abbey*
– Alter Ego, 44AD Artspace, Bath
– Corsham Pound Open Arts Exhibition
* exhibition of ’16 Million’ at the above venues.