I make abstract and figurative sculptures in a variety of traditional and modern media.
I am an associate artist at 44AD Artspace in Bath, UK, a founder member of the Cotswold Sculptors Association and past editor of Sculpture Loop newsletter.
In 2018 I won the sculpture prize at the Bath Society of Artists Annual Open Exhibition, and in 2020 the ‘Visitors Vote’ at the Royal Commonwealth Society exhibition at 44AD Artspace.
I have made sculptures of one kind or another since I was a boy, though my medical career and family took precedence for many years.
My first solo exhibition ‘25 Sculptures’ was in Spring 2015. A second landmark exhibition ‘Elphick and Elphick‘, with my wife Deirdre’s paintings in 2017 was similarly successful, and we exhibited again together at the Bristol Guild in 2019 (Elphick and Elphick Unlimited).
My most recent exhibition was ‘Ambition and the Transitional Objects‘ in 2021. This marked a turning point, triggered by the pandemic. The Transitional Objects are groups or families of six small ceramic sculptures, wood fired in my garden, all unique.
As well as work for private commissions or for sale, four responses to calls for public artwork have been a particular success: ‘16 Million‘ has now been displayed in many venues including libraries, galleries and schools. ‘The Casting Out‘ was also a great (and rather unexpected) public success, having been on display as planned at the 44AD gallery, and then by request at Magdalen Chapel, The Royal United Hospital and then at Bath Abbey. A piece entitled ‘The Commondance’ was voted the most popular entry for an exhibition called ‘Communication and the Commonwealth’ in March 2020.
I welcome opportunities for commissioned or public projects. Please get in touch by email. I will carry out a site visit, discuss your ideas, and make up some models or sketches without obligation.
– Bath Society of Artists (annual exhibition – selected)
-Five and Friends Arts Weekend, Wiltshire*.
– The Naked Truth, Bath Artists Studios.
– N Wraxall WW1 Commemoration, Wiltshire*.
– WW1 Commemoration, Bath Central Library*.
-Summer Show, 44AD Bath.
-Chippenham Central Library*.
-Swindon Central Library*.
-Bradford-on-Avon Arts Festival*.
-Wedmore WW1 Event, Somerset*.
-Deck The Walls, 44AD Bath.
’25 Sculptures’ 44AD Gallery, Bath (solo exhibition)
– Bath Society of Artists ( annual open exhibition – selected).
-Bath Open Art Show (shortlisted for prize).
-Prince’s Trust Art Auction (requested donation).
-The Darkness and the Thunder and the Rain, Bath Royal Literary and Science Institute*.
-Christmas Show, 44AD Bath.
– The Waiting Room (exhibition by associate artists from 44AD Bath with Bath University).
– Bare Facts (exhibition by Bath Artists Studios)
-Bath Society of Artists Summer Exhibition (selected, shortlisted for membership)
-Alleyn’s School, Dulwich*
– Three (with Liza Saunders and Deirdre Elphick)
– Find Another Bath (Book and Exhibition)
– Mary Magdalen Chapel, Holloway, Bath. St John’s Hospital Foundation. (‘The Casting Out‘)
– Royal United Hospitals, Bath (‘The Casting Out‘, part of ‘Find another Bath’ exhibition)
– Elphick and Elphick (with Deirdre Elphick) 44AD Gallery.
– Bath Abbey (The Casting Out)
– Mells Festival (exhibition Memories)
-Prince’s Trust Art Auction (requested donation)
– 44AD exhibition Genetics v The People
– BRLSI Member’s Annual Art Exhibition
– Bath Society of Artists 113th Annual Open Exhibition: Winner of the David Simon Contemporary Prize for Sculpture.
– Cotswold Sculpture Park (formerly Elementals)
– Bath Artists Studios sculpture exhibition
– Creating Spaces ( Cotswold Sculptors Association, Uley)
– David Simon Contemporary Gallery.
– Bath Abbey*
– Alter Ego, 44AD Artspace, Bath
– Corsham Pound Open Arts Exhibition
Creating Spaces 2 (Cotswold Sculptors Association at Malmesbury Abbey Gardens),
Elphick and Elphick Unlimited – Bristol Guild.
Five Fringe Fest.
The Pound Arts Open Exhibition.
‘Communication and the Commonwealth‘ – Winner of the ‘Visitors Vote’ for the most popular artwork.
Creating Spaces 3 (Cotswold Sculptors Association at Malmesbury Abbey Gardens)
National Trust, Newark Park, Gloucestershire.
‘Ambition and the Transitional Objects‘ – Solo exhibition and book launch.
Creating Spaces 4 & 5 (CSA at Malmesbury Abbey Gardens, and at Berkeley Castle)
* exhibition of ’16 Million’ at the above venues.